Winter has officially arrived which means the cold, dry air will cause dry, brittle hair. One easy way to nourish and hydrate your strands is to try a hot oil treatment. We love to use natural oils as they can penetrate the hair, seal in moisture, reduce breakage, and provide incredible slip. Plant-based oils like olive, coconut, and jojoba oil can work to strengthen, hydrate, and protect your hair from the elements and harsh winter temperatures. A hot oil treatment can work wonders for your hair, keep reading as we share how to do a hot oil treatment and the best oils to use for soft and thriving curls and kinks.
So, What Exactly Is A Hot Oil Treatment?
A hot oil treatment is a hair and scalp treatment that utilizes a blend of natural oils to treat dry and damaged hair. The treatment is applied from root to tip and works by either heating up the oils before application or by sitting under a steamer or hooded dryer after application. The heat factor allows for the oils to penetrate deeply into your strands. This process results in softer, more manageable hair and a slew of other benefits we discuss below.
What Are The Benefits Of A Hot Oil Treatment?
A hot oil treatment has a variety of benefits for your hair. Some of the most important benefits include:
- Protects and hydrates the hair
- Improves hair strength
- Helps to curb dry and itchy scalp
- Minimizes frizz
- Makes detangling easier
- Increases shine
- Reduces split ends
Which Oils Should I Use?
For your hot oil treatment, we recommend that you use a blend of penetrating and moisturizing oils. Our scalp and hair oil, Polished, features oils like argan, olive, and jojoba oil which bind to the hair and makes it feel soft, moisturized, and silky. If you will like to create your own oil blend, be sure to include the powerful oils below.
Coconut Oil: Reduces protein loss and helps to strengthen the hair.
Olive Oil: Contains oleic acid, palmitic acid, and squalene to soften, smooth, and preserve moisture.
Jojoba Oil: Mimics our scalp’s natural oil and helps to reduce dandruff. Moisturizes without weighing hair down.
Avocado Oil: Reduces breakage and provides incredible slip. Rich in biotin, vitamin B5, and vitamin E.
Sweet Almond Oil: Jam-packed with omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin E. Nourishes hair, making it feel smoother and softer.
Argan Oil: Rich in antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and Vitamin E which help to increase hair elasticity and restore shine.
Rosemary Oil: Stimulates hair growth, strengthens circulation and helps reduce dry scalp and dandruff.
How To Do A Hot Oil Treatment?
Overall, a hot oil treatment is very easy to do and can be applied in 2 ways. The first method is as a pre-poo or overnight treatment – saturating the oil on dry hair and leaving it on overnight or 1 hour before your wash day routine. The second method is as a conditioning step after you shampoo. Both methods will result in softer, moisturized hair – however, you’ll notice that applying the hot oil treatment on clean hair will get you better results. Read on to see which method works best for you.
Pre-Poo Or Overnight Treatment
1. Place your oil in an applicator bottle or heat-resistant bowl. You can either heat the oil in the microwave or place it in hot water for 5 minutes. Let it cool until the oil is warm and not extremely hot.
2. Apply the oil from roots to tips on dry hair, working in sections and finger detangling to ensure your hair is saturated.
3. Cover hair with a plastic cap for at least 30 minutes or overnight for a deeper treatment.
4. Rinse, then proceed with shampoo and conditioner.
1. After you cleanse and shampoo your hair, apply your heated oil to your damp tresses, saturating it through your hair.
2. Cover your hair with a plastic cap.
3. Optional: You can sit under a hooded dryer or steamer and skip heating your oil before application.
4. After 30 minutes, rinse your hair and proceed with your deep conditioner. If you have fine, thin strands that are easily weighed down, lightly cleanse with a moisturizing shampoo then proceed with a deep conditioner.
Feel free to do a hot oil treatment once or twice every month to infuse moisture back into your curls and to combat the dry, winter weather. Shop Polished for your next hot oil treatment.
Enjoyed this post? Comment below and share your favorite tip!